Pages

Monday 15 March 2010

The Ghost and Mrs Muir

I spent the afternoon - after some fairly depressing vaccinations - watching the 1947 classic 'The Ghost and Mrs Muir'. Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney in the same film? My idea of perfection! And, the patriotic gal that I am, I naturally adore it's English coastal setting, with the crashing waves beating at the shore; something very close to my heart as a seaside girl.


What I love about films like this - made in Hollywood's golden age, but set earlier - is that they combine the styles so beautifully. Just as we do in films today (see Pride and Prejudice for one!), our representation of past fashion is tinted through what is currently in vogue. The fitted 40's silhouette can be seen easily in the early 20th century dresses of the eponymous Mrs Muir.



But even without the luscious styling, I really think this is a movie everyone should see. The end, when (spoiler alert!) Captain Gregg and Lucy stare into each other's eyes, take each other's hands and walk off into the mist is one of the most beautiful and moving scenes in film. If you pay attention, you can spot the young Natalie Wood, and George Sanders as the creepy paramour is not to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment